So, since many of you have asked how the procedure went I thought I needed to update our blog. Ryan and I decided against the invasive VCUG procedure until we were sure it was the right diagnosis. After scouring the internet and reading numerous articles about hydronephrosis I realized that this is not as serious as some doctors would lead you to believe. Not only that, but this issue 99% of the time resolves itself. For this reason, and several others we decided to postpone the VCUG indefinitely. We will, of course, continue to monitor the situation and ideally we will have another ultrasound at 6 months to see if this condition has corrected itself. If so, we have spared Lacy the expense of the invasive catheter and possible infection from the procedure. If the condition still exists we will pursue the VCUG route, but only through a children's hospital which we could not do out here as they had no appointments available prior to leaving for San Francisco. As many of you have mentioned there is so much over diagnosis these days (ie. the calcium deposit in the heart scare we had at 20 weeks in the pregnancy) due to the advances in ultrasound technology. Who knows how many of us are walking around with hydronephrosis and we are just fine.
Lacy does, however, have her first shots today. I have also done probably way too much research on this as well, and I have come to what, I believe, makes me the most comfortable. I want Lacy to have all her necessary shots (although I do think there are WAY too many these days as compared to 1983--which could be a possible link to the increase in autism) but I don't want to follow the 'recommended' schedule which would require Lacy to receive the following vaccines all at one time: Hib (meningitis), Rotovirus, DTaP (diptheria, tetnus and pertussis), Hepatitis B (which by the way is an STD--why are we vaccinating an infant for an STD?), Polio, and Pc (pneumoccal disease). That is 6 shots in one visit...children were given 2 at this age in 1983. Imagine all the toxins and 'ingredients' running through her body at one time? Now, I am not an 'earth mother' who believes that vaccinating your children is wrong, and I plan on Lacy having ALL these shots, but I believe that we can split them up a bit and have an alternative schedule other than what the dr. recommends, so that Lacy's body can process these shots better. Just our opinions.
So, lastly, Ryan is back from our house-hunting trip in San Francisco! He did a great job and after days of seeing properties and being either too late or seeing way to many dumps he found us a great home in Sausalito, CA. We are looking forward to living only a block from the beach and walking distance from Old Town Sausalito. It will be a great place for us for a few years. It may be hard to leave!! If any of you are out our way, please stop in for a visit. Family and friends are always welcome.
1 comment:
We visited Sausalito when we were in SF this summer. It's such a quaint town. And there's a really amazing cheeseburger place, too.
Post a Comment