Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year, One Word

So, I know this is a wee bit overdue, as normally you would write about the new year either as the old year closes or the new year begins, but I found myself pre-occupied with catching up on all my other photos and random thoughts for the close of 2008.

As I reflect on the past year I can only think of one word. Grateful. I am so grateful for everything that I have in my life. Last year we were blessed with the most amazing gift I could ever ask for, our beautiful baby girl. She makes me smile at least a million times every day. My mornings have been transformed from dreary, ho-hum, quick grab a cup of coffee mornings into bright excitement when I open the door to her bedroom; see her big smile and hear her squeals of delight. My days, although they have become increasingly more difficult since I still work 40+ hours a week, are filled with amazement as I watch the world through Lacy's eyes. I would not trade it for anything. She is my world and the greatest joy of my life. A joy I didn't even know was possible or even existed. She has given my life a purpose and I love her for all she does for me.

I have the most wonderful friends and family. I am blessed, truly blessed, to be surrounded by such wonderful and amazing people. I am not always the best at staying in touch with people, but I have tried hard in 2008 and I will try harder in 2009. Distance and time zones make it a little tougher, and add a baby to the mix and free time dissolves, but it is my friends and family that give me support and keep me grounded. In the end it is your family and friends and the relationships that you have with them that mean the most.

More times than I care to admit this past year I have been reminded of how grateful I am for my health and the health of my family. 2008 was a tough year for a lot of people on the periphery of my world and it really brought home the reality of life and death. Some people come and go, some get a long time on this planet and other's only a brief glimpse. I have grieved for all those who have lost their battles and I have rejoiced at the hard won fights. Each time, I realized that I have taken my health for granted and the health of those I love. I am now acutely aware that our health is never a given. I hope that 2009 brings comfort to those who have lost so much and brings continued health to those who are still fighting.

Lastly, without my husband I wouldn't have our beautiful little girl and I wouldn't have a third of the family that I now have. I am so grateful to have found him again and to have him with me on my journey, our journey. He is truly my best friend and I am grateful.

Again, one word. Grateful.

2 comments:

L said...

Hooray for husbands, and all the joy they bring!

Anonymous said...

Now I need a tissue . . . . thank you for being such a great wife to my son and wonderful mother to my granddaughter. Love you, Marcia